Did You Try Making: Mia Kristensen’s Malt Pizza with Bacon and Herbs
Today, we share Mia’s recipe that was featured in Issue 03 of Countlan magazine.
Recipe: Malt Pizza with bacon and herbs
2 pizzas, 4 people
500ml dark beer or water (room temperature)
15g fresh yeast
3 tbsp. oil, preferable nut oil
1 tbsp. malt flour
~750 g strong bread flour
14 g fine salt
100 g cured and smoked bacon
200 g soft (e.g. brie) or grated semi-hard cheese (e.g. Danish Vesterhavsost)
2 medium-sized potatoes, boiled
6-8 sprigs thyme to sprinkle
A little oil to sprinkle
Salt flakes to sprinkle
200 g sour cream
½ tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. apple vinegar
75 g fresh herbs, chopped (e.g. cress, chervil, dill, sorrel or sea rocket)
Photo Source: CPH Good Food
- Dough: Mix the beer and the yeast in a kneading bowl and stir until the yeast has dissolved.
- Add the two flours, oil and knead the dough for 5 minutes (by hand or machine). Add the salt and keep kneading the dough an additional 5 minutes until the texture in similar to chewed gum. Cover the dough and leave it to rest in a warm place for 1½-2 hours (or alternatively 8-12 hours in the fridge)
- Preheat the oven at 275-300C degrees (or as high as it goes).
- Topping: Slice and fry the bacon on a pan over high heat for two minutes on each side, until just cooked NOT browned.
- Roll the dough out until it reaches 5 mm thickness. Sprinkle cheese on top of the dough and cover it with thin slices of boiled potatoes and bacon.
- Chop the thyme roughly and sprinkle that over, together with a little salt and oil. Bake the pizza in the middle of the oven for approx. 5-15 minutes until crisp and golden around the edges. (Use a baking stone if you have one).
- Dressing: Whisk the sour cream with the salt, sugar and vinegar. Sprinkle the dressing over the pizza along with fresh herbs – then serve, while it is still warm.